Advocates Close is an alley leading from Cockburn Street up to the Royal Mile. Its exit is opposite the beautiful St Giles Cathedral. Many date the close to 1544, but it may have existed before this. Closes were the preferred residency of the Scottish nobility up until the 19th century. One of these noblemen was Sir James Stewart, Lord Advocate of Scotland, and this is where its name comes from. Other prominent residents included William III’s and Queen Mary’s official painter John Scougall, and the Abbot of Holyrood House Bishop Bothwell. The popular bar ‘Devil’s Advocate’ can currently be found here.