Located on the Abergeldie Estate in the east of Cairngorms National Park, Royal Lochnagar Distillery produces one of Scotland’s most exclusive whiskies. Built in 1826 by James Robertson, Lochnagar burnt down in suspicious circumstances in 1841, in what was believed to have been arson at the hands of Robertson’s illicit competitors. But the distillery was rebuilt four years later by John Begg and named ‘New Lochnagar. Situated just a mile from historic Balmoral Castle, the distillery enjoyed a visit from Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, at the invitation of Begg, in 1848 and was awarded a Royal Warrant, enabling the name change to Royal Lochnagar. Today, it produces a single malt whisky and is also used in high-end blended whiskies, such as Johnnie Walker Blue Label.