The O2 Academy, situated on Eglinton Street just south of the city centre, is Glasgow’s premier music venue. Originally built as United Secession Church in 1825, the venue was converted into Bedford Cinema in 1921, but was destroyed by fire just 11 years later. The newly constructed New Bedford Cinema reopened on Boxing Day of the same year. A picture-house remained the primary use of the venue until 1973, when it became a bingo hall, before transforming into a music venue following a multi-million-pound restoration in 2003. Deacon Blue launched the new venue and the Category B-listed building has since hosted The Killers, James Brown and the O2 Wireless Festival, alongside a host of top comedians.