Located on Broad Street in the city centre, Marischal College is a spectacular, imposing granite building, thought of by many as a symbol of Aberdeen and its industrial granite history. Originally constructed in 1593, it became Aberdeen’s second university, following the already established King’s College. The two merged to form the University of Aberdeen in 1860, with Medicine and Law being taught exclusively at Marischal College. Prior to this merge back in 1835, the modern Mariscal building was constructed, with the previous buildings having been demolished. An extension was completed by 1906, making it the second-largest granite building in the world. Today, Marischal College is the headquarters of Aberdeen City Council, with university classes taught at King’s College and Foresterhill campuses.