These two ruins can be seen when travelling along the A837 from Inchnadamph. Although they are two separate ruins they should be viewed together to fully understand the history behind them. Park at the parking area between them and read about the history from the boards provided there.
The Castle is the older of the two and dates back to 1490 when it was owned by the MacLeods of Assynt. It is a lovely walk up to the Castle along a good path with some beautiful views of the island and the mountains. There is not much left of it but you can make out that it was a three storey tower house with a vaulted basement.
One of the reasons that there is not much left is because some of the stone from the Castle was used to build Calda House in 1726 by the new owners of the Castle, the McKenzies.
This was much more lavish than the Castle and had 14 bedchambers and a good view of the Castle. There is interesting Clan history to learn here, the most notable being that the Marquis of Montrose sought sanctuary in the Castle after a battle but was lured into the dungeon and given up to government troops in 1650.