Edinburgh is a bustling, exciting, international city no matter when you decide to visit it. You feel the sense of history just walking along many of its cobbled streets and narrow wynds. It’s the place to be for sightseeing as there are so many attractions and of course, Edinburgh Castle sitting proudly overlooking the famous Princes Street. You will find many hotels, hostels, BnBs and campsites in and around Edinburgh to choose from. Why not check out some of our recommendations.
When should I book my trip to Edinburgh?
There are so many Festivals on in Edinburgh that you would need to be careful to book in plenty of time to get the best deals if you are planning on booking during any of the Festivals. If you are planning on going to the Hogmanay celebrations find out if you can get tickets before booking your trip.
Which area of Edniburgh should you stay in?
Stockbridge has hotels, restaurants, bars and shops and is well worth considering. Leith also has hotels, restaurants, bars and shops but also the famous Leith Walk for you to stroll along. The City Centre is the place to be if you don’t mind perhaps having to pay a little more for your accommodation. From here you will be able to access entertainment, theatres, shows and lots of visitor attractions.
Camping in Edinburgh
If you are planning on visiting during the main festival month of August you might want to consider the Festival Camping site in Ingliston. This is 23 minutes from the City Centre but can be lots of fun as it’s full of festival goers and performers. Mortonhall Caravan and Camping Park is only 4 miles from the city centre and caters for all types of campers with caravan, tents, wigwams and huts. This site is open all year, has a bar and restaurant on site and is on a regular bus route to the centre. If you belong to the Caravan Club then look no further than Edinburgh Caravan Club site on the Firth of Forth.
What’s the best time of year to visit Edinburgh?
You can have a great time in Edinburgh at any time of year however why not try to fit your visit in during one of Edinburgh’s many festivals. Here are the dates over the next year:
- 13 Jul 18 – 22 Jul 18 Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival
- 26 Jul 18 – 26 Aug 18 Edinburgh Art Festival
- 3 Aug 18 – 25 Aug 18 The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo
- 3 Aug 18 – 27 Aug 18 Edinburgh Festival Fringe
- 3 Aug 18 – 27 Aug 18 Edinburgh International Festival
- 11 Aug 18 – 27 Aug 18 Edinburgh International Book Festival
- 19 Oct 18 – 31 Oct 18 Scottish International Storytelling Festival
- 30 Dec 18 – 1 Jan 19 Edinburgh’s Hogmanay
- 6 Apr 19 – 21 Apr 19 Edinburgh International Science Festival
- 25 May 19 – 2 Jun 19 Edinburgh International Children’s Festival
- 19 Jun 19 – 30 Jun 19 Edinburgh International Film Festival